Changing My Way of Packing



I admit it. I'm an over-packer and need to make a change. On my recent trip to Hawaii, I brought a very large suitcase, a carryon suitcase (just for shoes and accessories) and another carryon for the rest that didn't fit in the other two. I really didn't need more than half of the clothes I packed because I ended up wearing a bathing suit and cover up almost every day. All this stuff I had meticulously packed stayed hanging in the rental's closet in the over two weeks we were there.

So, I decided I would try something new. I wore the same 4-5 dresses, shorts, pants or tops over (this was a milestone for me) and washed them when I needed to. I felt really good about this...it was liberating for me! Now, when I plan for my next trip I won't feel compelled to pack more clothes than I need. In fact, I'm going to be carryon all the way!

Here are some questions and tips when packing for a trip:
  1. Try to pack clothes in the same color scheme and do the same with footwear.  Instead of bringing clothes all colors of the rainbow, pack shades of blue, or green, etc. As far as footwear, you really only need a neutral pair of sandals/shoes to wear with shorts or dresses, a good pair of walking shoes/sneakers if walking is what you're going to do, and maybe an extra pair of sandals/shoes to offset the first pair.
  2. Will I really wear this? If you're going on a casual beach vacation, will you really need to bring a cocktail dress that you might wear for an evening out with the hubby or a date? If the answer is no, leave it home.
  3. Do I have to wear a different outfit every day or can I just rotate outfits? That's exactly what I did this time and it worked. No one will remember if you're wearing the same thing 2 times during your vacation.
  4. Can I purchase some items on my vacation instead of packing them? I found that sunscreen, shampoo and other toiletries I had packed could be bought saving space and weight. It might cost you a little more at your destination but it will be so worth it.
  5. Will you have access to a washer and dryer? If so, take advantage of this. You might not want to be washing and drying clothes while on vacation but it's the key to bringing fewer clothes. If you can't or don't want to do this, find out how much it would cost to have some clothes laundered as it will pay off in the long run.
  6. Try rolling your clothing instead of laying them flat in your carryon. This saves so much space and room for a few more things.
  7. If you are bringing liquids, gels or aerosols in your carryon, remember the TSA 3-1-1 requirements: 
  • 3.4 ozs. or less liquid per container
  • 1 quart, clear plastic, ziplock bag must be used to fit your liquids
  • 1 bag per passenger
I purchased this wonderful carryon 21" suitcase by Travelpro. Look at its features:
  • Ultralight weighing under 6-1/2 lbs.
  • Water repellant
  • 360-degree spinners will roll in any direction you walk
  • Extra tall 42.5" telescoping handle
  • Crash guard wheel housings
This is one tough suitcase and is handling the wear and tear of traveling very well! It's available for purchase on Amazon for under $90 https://amzn.to/2XmpQkx

Hoping my tips have been helpful and in the meantime...happy traveling!



Comments