Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Scones

In my quest to find the best recipe and make the most outrageous scones, this is the one! I think it's the buttermilk that makes these taste so rich and delicious. And it's just the right amount of butter and lemon...hmm, hmm good. I just made the scones shown below and they're going fast in my kitchen. Let me know what you think of them...hoping you'll love them as much as my family and I do!


Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Scones
(makes 16 scones)

Ingredients:

3 cups of flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 and 1/2 sticks of butter - cut in 1/2" chunks
zest of 2 large lemons (grated fine)
juice of 2 large lemons (use 1/4 cup for scones)
1 cup of buttermilk - see below for recipe
(I use 1 cup of milk & add 1 T. white vinegar)
3 T. poppy seeds

Glaze:
2 cups of confectioners sugar
4 T. of lemon juice

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  • First, make your buttermilk (see above) unless you already have it storebought on hand. Let it sit while you prepare the scone mix. 
  • Combine well with spoon flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. 
  • Add butter and mix with your fingers to a coarse meal. (You'll need to just keep squishing butter and flour between your fingers until it gets to this state.) 
  • Add buttermilk and lemon juice with a spoon and mix just until combined. 
  • ***Do not overmix.*** This is the key to perfect scones...not overmixing. 
  • Transfer the dough to a well-floured pastry board and divide into 2 parts. I pat each into a 8" round with my hands. 
  • Cut each round into 8 wedges and place on baking sheet. (I found it easier to dip my knife in a cup of flour each time I cut the wedge.) 
  • Bake for approximately 17 minutes or until lightly browned on top or you can lightly touch scone and it should spring back.
  • Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for 20 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, stir lemon juice into confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. I used a teaspoon to drizzle glaze over scones. 
  • Enjoy!





Comments